William H. Klein


William H. (Bill) Klein passed away November 14, 2006 in Ogden, Utah after a brief illness. Bill enjoyed a long carrier as a forest entomologist and remote sensing specialist with the U.S. Forest Service and was an active member of the Western Forest Insect Work Conference.

photo of Bill KleinBill Klein, ground checking bark beetle infestations in California using aerial photos

Bill was born in October 1928 in San Francisco, CA. At the end of World War II he worked in the U.S. Merchant Marines and later graduated from John Muir College in Pasadena, CA. He served as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army in Germany. Later he received a Bachelor's Degree in Forestry from Oregon State University and a Master of Science Degree in Entomology from Yale University.

During his years with the U.S. Forest Service, he held assignments with the PNW Research Station, the former Amherst, MA Field Office of Forest Pest Management in R-7, R-4 and, finally, as a Remote Sensing Specialist with the FPM Methods Application Group on Davis, CA. He retired in 1982. After retirement, he taught Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing at Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches, TX, undertook graduate studies at Albert Ludwig University in Freiburg, Germany and served in the Peace Corps. Throughout his professional carrier, Bill's strong work ethic and conscientious approach to any project he undertook was exemplary.

Bill was an avid skier, hiker, camper, photographer and motorcyclist. He made several motorcycle trips across Germany. During his years in Ogden, he was a strong advocate for mass transit, including light rail, and was active in several other civic projects.

More than anything, I remember Bill as a great friend and wonderful traveling companion. I still have fond memories of a winter camping trip with Bill into California's Desolation Wilderness. There was another time when we had two weeks of back-to-back meetings in Colorado. During the weekend we traveled from Fort Collins to Durango, skied Crested Butte and spoke to one another in German because both of us were planning trips to Germany later in the year. On another occasion, while working together in the Black Hills, we found ourselves serving as extras in the Spearfish Passion Play. Other than getting outfitted with costumes, no one told us what we were to do once we got on stage. The longer we waited backstage the greater became our level of stage fright. As it worked out, we were members of a crowd and were cued by professional actors as to what to do and say, so we had nothing to worry about. It was a hoot.

This obituary was prepared by Bill Ciesla -- Fort Collins, CO -- May, 2007